Friday, January 23, 2009

settling in




Today we arrived in Jaipur. For the past two nights, we stayed in a really nice hotel outside of the city. Most of the time was spent talking about what to expect from the culture, security precautions, and India's history. There is so much to learn, and the adjustment is slow to come. However, I am recovered from the 12 hour time change.
Jaipur is 3.5 million people. It's called the 'pink city' because the rock wall around the city is pinkish. The family that I stay with is a grandfather (papaji), the son and his wife, and their two kids (aged 4 and 5). They are very curious about me, and continously say 'hi.' Then again, pretty much everyone is curious here, and like to take photos with their phone.
The house is nice, and I get my own room and bathroom. I went for a walk around the area, and literally came upon a block right down from the house where there was a stable for cows. It's a bit strange to encounter this in the city, but I have already seen elephants, camels, and many cows. By the way, cows always have the right-of-way here.
The internet is very slow, but I will upload a few photos from Delhi and Jaipur. Class starts tomorrow, and my family is packing me a boxed lunch everyday.
sweet.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, can't believe you are there. It sounds like you're off to a good start for a great adventure. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.
    Love ya Kissner,

    Brugman
    (Your #1 fan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..you are amazing. I totally envy your curiosity for the world and your ability to dive head first into something so different from where you grew up. Keep it up.
    Love Ya Lots - Linds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It sounds so amazing so far. I look forward to reading you blog and seeing what you are doing!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your many adventures and attempting to picture you in these unique situations! Keep blogging so we can stay updated. Be safe and enjoy this exciting time in your life!
    Love ya,
    Cody

    ReplyDelete