Thursday, April 9, 2009

over the hump


The photo above is men giving their signature (a thumb print) to verify they have completed a day of work. If you have time, look up the government scheme, NREGA.

Wow. Time is going by quickly. Sometimes it doesn't seem that way, but overall, the days are moving along at a fast rate. Two weeks from today, I will be finished with my internship, then heading to Jaipur for four days of wrap-up and final presentations.
India- we will be parting soon. I'm not going to get into my feelings for this country quite yet. My time here isn't up. I am trying to soak in every rickshaw ride (which by the way, we had 12 women fit into one this morning. impressive, but hot), chaos of the old city at night, and of course, the nuzzling cows.
I have been going out into the field most days. By now, I have seen some of the women two or three times, and we are past the 'namaste' phase- we've moved onto hugging. I enjoy getting hugged because it is not common practice here. I didn't realize how much I have missed it.
Last week, I visited the most impoverished village I've seen yet. It was a section called Oden. I tagged along with two other Astha women. They went to talk to a group of women about ways to save money and start a joint account for the community. The money they earn from daily labor (which is at maximum 100 Rupees= $4) goes to the husbands. Drinking is a common problem in that area, so the money hasn't been going to support the family. The women were very receptive, and welcoming towards me.
Above is a photo of a little girl who was being really patient while we were meeting with the women under a tree.
The reality of poverty sinks in very quickly when I'm in the middle of children that are bloated from malnourishment or are continuously sleeping because they are too weak to play. I worry about what kind of future they will have. Each day I go out into the field with Astha, I build more and more appreciation for the work of the NGO.
This was at a school where kids are getting their daily government rations (three meals a day):

I have no idea how I will feel when I get back to the States. I do know that I will have a greater appreciation for the availability of opportunity. Also, I think material objects will be way lower on my list of importance. I feel more reassured that I got rid of most of my pocessions before I left.
While out in the field, I got braver with street food. When it's 110 degrees and there's sugar cane or pineapple juice stands in front of me- I'm gonna drink it. Problem is that ice has been used- ice that isn't made with filtered water. It was so hot last week, that I tried to ignore it. Bad idea. I have been pretty sick for the past four days. I think its is combination of the juices, water balls (I'll talk about them later), and sun. I have been feeling weak, and don't really care for eating anything. I got some meds yesterday for 13 Rupees (about 8 cents) that should help. By the way, written prescriptions aren't needed for anything- kinda crazy. I like that I can get medicine right away, without waiting at the doctor. My roomate's dad is a doctor in the States, so we just chatted over gmail, and he told me what to get. Auntyji also did some aerovedic technique on me this morning. All I know, is she found out I'm unbalanced- my right side is one inch longer than my left. weird. I'm still pretty out of it, so I've been sleeping alot.
Here's a photo of some street food (not usually the type I eat, but it looks gnarly):

I'm headed about an hour and a half out of Udaipur tomorrow for a village meeting. Hopefully, I'll see some of the women I've met. Then this weekend, we may head to Mt. Abu to explore, if my body will let me.
I will probably see this surpanch, Daki Bai tomorrow as well (photo also includes staff of the Hunger Project, another NGO):

Ah, I got to watch a movie in English the other day. I went to some electronics store and bought six movies on one disc for 90 Rupees ($1.80). The movie was Woody Allen's 'Vicky Christina Barcelona.' It was amazing on many levels. Check it out. Also, makes me want to go back to Barcelona real bad. Anyone have jobs hook-ups there?
Finally, a big “HI” to the One Stop crew! Miss you guys, and I'll come bug you when I get back.
Geoff and Tai- I'll be needing a hug.

1 comment: