Tuesday, February 3, 2009

American Escape




Snacks. I had some 'real' snacks tonight- french fries. Some of us girls from the program went to a hookah coffee shop called Mr. Bean. They play really bad 90's music (Michael Bolton and Richard Marx), mixed with random rap (Eminem and 50 Cent). The waiters wear strange looking sailor-like uniforms with berets. They can play and wear whatever they want- as long as I can get nachos and french fries. OK, enough about that.
This past weekend was spent exploring more of Jaipur. On Saturday, me and my housemate, Carly, went shopping with our 'mom.' She took us to the insanely busy Old City to the markets. I wasn't sure what was happening most of the time, and just did what she told me. When we entered a store with fabrics, we were instantly bombarded with men unfolding saris in front of us. The shirts all had sequins on them. They look real pretty on other people, but I can't do sparkles. It took awhile to get that fact through to the store workers. So, I got one shirt, and an amazing sari for the wedding we are attending in two weeks. I have no idea how to wear it, but my 'mom' is going to dress me. Oh, and I got promesque jewelry to go along with the sari- it was pretty much an order for me to buy it. I tried to look like I liked the pearl and rhinestone earrings, but not sure I was convincing. I'm thinking the sari will make a nice skirt or curtain when I'm back in the States.
Sunday, we were invited to the aunt, Binew's house for a religious ceremony. It was a ceremony to honor the god, Lakshmi. A Brahman was there chanting scripts in Sanskrit. There were offerings of food and incense decorating the mini altar. I got my first bindi applied (the red dot on the forehead), and I ended up smearing it right away on accident. Then we were served excellent food. Two elderly ladies sat on both sides of me and had me drink some sugar milky thing. Turns out, it also included water from the Ganges. Hmm, well, at least I didn't get sick.
I continue to explore with some girls from class, and we're having a good time doing random things. Instead of going to the desert this weekend, we're headed to a huge bird sanctuary, then to the Taj Mahal in Agra. I have to see this tourist trap while I'm here. I guess after it was built, they cut off the architect's hands so he couldn't recreate a similar structure. ouch.
The picture below was taken from the front porch. Monkeys are super freaky here, and wander everywhere. I saw the biggest one leap at some guy on the street as he was walking.
I'm not down with getting rabies.

3 comments:

  1. Water from the Ganges, eh? That would worry me a little bit. My sister has been reading your blog. She says she really likes it. Sounds like you are having an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey pretty girl. Is that the sari you picked....colbalt blue? Very in right now....you always are the trend setter. It's beautiful. You look like you're having a great time. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're not "down w/ getting rabies". ;) Keep posting pics and stories of your adventures. Take care Ambigitty!

    ReplyDelete